Mary Immaculate College Entrance
Mary Immaculate College was established in 1898 by Bishop Edward T. O’ Dwyer and the Sisters of Mercy for the professional education of Catholic primary school teachers. The original College building was added to over the years with the construction of a College Chapel, Residential Block, Auditorium (Halla) and most recently, the Tailteann (multi-purpose gym) and TARA (teaching, recreational and auditorium space).
The main entrance area was built sometime during the 1970’s between two protected structures RPS 365 and RPS 367 to serve as a new main entrance area to Mary Immaculate College. It functioned to facilitate the increased amount of students attending the college and allow wheelchair and disabled access to the college and reception area.
The college has seen a large increase in student numbers over the last number of years with the result that the student, staff and visitor entrance area was under pressure at peak times.
ACP advised the architects on the building conservation aspects of the redevelopment of the entrance area to ensure that the historic fabric was protected and respected in the new proposals which consisted of:
- Refurbishment of existing entrance lobby area.
- Construction of new reception area in main building.
- New external insulation system to Halla.
- Relocation and renovation of fire escape exit and emergency exit doors.
- Works to car park area and widening of pedestrian entrance gates.
Ultimately, the works have a minimal impact on the existing historic fabric and have an overall positive impact on the reception area, which defines between two protected structures.