Market House, Mountshannon
The Market house was originally built in the 1740’s during the height of the flax and linen industry in Clare. The building has survived to this day almost in its original state. However, the distinctive wooden clock on the hipped gable was taken down about 70 years ago for repair, but was allowed to disintegrate and was never replaced. Other aspects of the building including the roof, floors and chimneys required emergency repairs to prevent deterioration of the building.
ACP were engaged by the owners to undertake emergency stabilisation works of the roofs and walls. This work was undertaken under S57 approval and was carried out by a local experienced contractor. ACP have also advised our client on the feasibility of reusing the property in conjunction with a local community group.